Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sitting, Waiting, Wishing

Look at me now, look at me now, whoaa... I think I am 4 1/2 days in to my little life in Los Angeles.

I dropped Mums off at LAX on Monday, after doing some shopping for my interview and having a yummy spinach salad at Black Cat Cafe on Fairfax. Yum! We also got a loaf of walnut wheat bread to split. Which I have been nibbling at everyday to tide me over and not pay for food! ha.


I was sad to see mama go, but it was time for me to acquaint myself with the city on my own. I drove to Nikolai's in Noho... and it took me an hour. Now let's talk about traffic. I had all too many realizations while sitting there in my lil' jim. Firstly: it was time for me to choose how I wanted to feel about traffic. Did I want to loathe and dread it? Or did I want to embrace the time the traffic and I have together everyday? (Literally everyday. For most of the day.) And then let's look at all the people around me, sitting in their own little cars going about their own busy little lives. We're all sitting, waiting, wishing. It's kind of a humbling experience. People from all walks of life, sitting in the same waiting line. I loved it. I mean, I had some great music playing, singing to myself and enjoying everyone around me. Maybe I'll have to look into audio books... just in case this positive/music outlook doesn't tide me over forever. But for now, it seems to be working. If it's unavoidable I might as well learn to not only tolerate it, but perhaps love it a little bit. My own little corner of time for me. Now I'm just working on getting a great little car to enjoy it in. Yeah... working on that. Job... money... car. Right.


Nikolai and I hung out for a while in his apartment before he had to head to a rehearsal. I decided to wash some of the dishes as thanks for letting me stay there for a couple days, which I was later reprimanded about. I then laced up my new tennis shoes and headed for the nearby park. I ran around enjoying all the sights: lots of little dogs, soccer teams, and interesting running styles. It was just nice to be in the *perfect* weather here. Seriously, everyday is an absolute lovely joy.

Heard from my internship head yesterday. I start on Thursday! And guess what? I am going to see an improv show at 8 pm with FRED WILLARD. FO' FREE!!


Once a month he heads to the studio to perform with his Moho group... which I must admit I have no clue what that means, but I'm sure I will soon. After the show I am meeting with my boss man to discuss my internship. Woo! I can't wait to get started. He mentioned taking an improv class and a sketch writing class, which I'd love to take! Just keeping my fingers crossed that he wants me to do them for free...? It's cute of me to hope... right?

Spent the day yesterday with my sweetest little strawberry of a friend, RACHEL.


Look at her. She's adorable. This was her in Copenhagen a couple weeks ago, basically going on her birthright trek to see the Little Mermaid statue. She's OBSESSED (well with a lot of things, haha!) but mostly with the Little Mermaid. Anyways... We went to the Griddle Cafe with Nikolai in the morning for some GINORMOUS pancakes. Of course we didn't realize that they come in stacks of three, or else we would have specifically ordered one a la carte. It was ridonkulous. I think I ate, what, a quarter of one? I got the oatmeal pancake, it was fantastic.


They also bring you a personal little french press for coffee! My mama would have LOVED it. Delightful. The Griddle Cafe is apparently a major place for celebrity sightings as it's right on Sunset Blvd. Alas, I still have not seen any. But the waiters there could have qualified for celebrities. Oh my were they tall and absolutely dashing. You know, the kind of guys who wink at you after they say everything? Oh yes, they were suave and they knew it. But they didn't even have to be, considering how adorable they all were. I appreciated them being nice as well as handsome. So I've got a big box of pancakes in Nikolai's fridge. Chillin'. Maybe I'll eat them in a bit.

OH! And did I mention that there was real maple syrup-- Unlimited!? I never get french toast or pancakes out because of this reason. I am a syrup diva. It's just the way I was raised. I don't want no stinking corn syrup on my pancakes, thank you very much Aunt Jemima. Afterwards Rachel and I (after about a three hour break of hanging out at Nikolai's/sitting in LOVELY traffic, chatting), we went to Yogurtland. For a moderate amount of yogurt with fruit. We were itching to see a movie, too, so we settled on Kung Fu Panda 2. Yup. I know. But I have seen so many of the other ones, and we both just really wanted to see a movie.


We WERE going to see the new X-Men movie, then to my horror, they told me it was going to be... wait for it...

SIXTEEN DOLLARS.

Say what?! I don't think so. After 4 pm the movies here are $12.00. I don't know if I will ever get used to that. That is ridiculous. And with the special theatre it was being shown in it tacked on $4. Nope. Uh uh. And then we saw Kung Fu Panda for the matinee price... $10.50. Ouch. Yup, time for me to get this part time job so I can somehow facilitate my need for movies. Well, that and popcorn. Let's be honest, you can take the girl out of the appropriately priced movie theatre in Tucson but you can't take the popcorn out of the girl, no matter what geographical change she may go through. Unless you put her in England where the only option is Kettle Corn or stale salted popcorn. But that's another story on my travel blog. I digress.

Today I have my interview at LUSH on 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica! I'm so excited! Wish me luck!


First I am meeting with my favorite lil' LA Darwin... Jackie! Haven't seen her in a month or so, so I am looking forward to a little coffee meet and greet. Yum! Oh... and I need to find a silly way to print my resumé. Now I'm regretting leaving my printer at home. Curses. Nikolai's apartment has a printer but it was completely out of ink last night... maybe I'll go bug the front desk to refill it. Ha.

Alright! Off to do some exercises, shower, sit in some loverly traffic, meet with Jackie, and get this dream part-time job! :) Hehe. Kisses.

No comments:

Post a Comment