Friday, June 24, 2011

Power Ranger Party Pants

I know, I know, I know.

It's been a long time, I get it! But I'm writing now, everything is going to be okay.

Woof, it looks like it's been five days since I have written. I have been incredibly busy with life and responsibilities! I started training at LUSH! I am the luckiest girl in the world to be working there, really. We took two days to train, playing different ice breaker games, sampling every single product and taking a look at every ingredient that goes in and what effects they have. My favorite? This little beauty: a moisturizer called GORGEOUS.


This thing is chockfull of amazing ingredients-- and all of them are cold-pressed, meaning that the nutrients are in their most potent form. The vitamins and minerals are completely raw and the smell is amazing. Fun fact: this is the facial moisturizer that Princess Diana swore by. It was originally an ancient Japanese recipe (a lot of LUSH recipes have been used for hundreds of years), and after she passed away LUSH somehow got the recipe for it. It's the most expensive thing in the store. I may even call it completely unreasonably expensive. That little container?

$89.95

BUT-- Princess Diana used to pay over $300, so... yeah. There are four other moisturizers at LUSH, but of course, it turns out that this particular one is most compatible with me. I feel so fancy. I was the only one out of ten girls who had "normal" skin, which of course never gets old to me (as I just finished accutane about two months ago, when my skin was less than desirable). Yes, Gorgeous is expensive, but I also have a 50% discount so that should help.

I made lots of new fun friends at LUSH, too. I am so obsessed with the company and the products, and the happy people there are just an added bonus. I have, like, real friends there. In fact, I kind of have real-ish friends here in general. It's a beautiful, beautiful thing. Monday night, Jimmy, Johnny, Becca, Rory, and Jonas and I (all from Bang, except Jimmy who is an honorary Bang-er), went to iO West in Hollywood, an amazing little improv theatre founded by Charna Halpern and Del Close-- the parents of improv as we know it today.


I am all about the free improv shows these days. AND GET THIS: free popcorn, too. Free laughs and free deliciousness? Count me in. Johnny and I ate a couple bowls of popcorn (we only stopped because they shut down the machines. Rude.) So I'm definitely going back for that. Oh, and it was funny, too. The show was set up like a cage match: two teams go head to head with twenty minute sets, then the audience votes, then the winning team kills the other team. (The last part may not be true, but it made you nervous, didn't it?)


Our sketch writing class was great as always! I have a legit sketch that's been simmering on my desktop... slowly being added to and edited... may be mildly humorous, who knows? My teachers chuckled dutifully as I explained it, so that's worth something.

I spent the whole day at LUSH on Tuesday training. We gave each other facials (did I mention I have the best job ever?) and received consultations with free samples of everything. Then I irresponsibly stumbled into Anthropologie... and Gap... for some much needed wardrobe updates. I finally got a pair of jeans that fit me, so that was good. Afterwards, I met up with some media arts friends to celebrate my friend Beau's birthday! We met at Barney's Beanery on 3rd Street Promenade, conveniently right across from LUSH. I didn't have anything to eat, but everyone's meals looked amazing!


Another convenient thing about 3rd St Promenade is the Sephora two blocks down from LUSH. Having to meet with a group of people sounded like a nightmare after being covered with goopy smelly things all day with no makeup on. I looked like a greasy troll. BUT. Sephora came to the rescue. I wandered around pretending like I was shopping, but in reality I was just slowly putting on sample makeup (with hygienic applicators, don't worry). I emerged looking somewhat presentable. A fun Tuesday night meeting up with old Media Arts buddies.

I went to Yoga Shelter Wednesday morning for another kick butt yoga class. Luckily Megan was there, so that was fun! Then Johnny and I went to Bang afterwards. I picked up and organized the green room for two hours or so, then we decided to get some food... from Becca's food truck.


Now our new favorite friend, Becca, is a skilled chef. She's about to graduate from culinary school and based on the meal she made for Johnny and I the other night, she's got some mean cooking skills. She is currently working at Auntie Fry's Food Truck (food trucks are VERY big in LA, you may have seen some Food Network reality shows about it). Well, the truck was supposed to be in Silverlake at 6:30... but didn't arrive till 7:00. We had improv at 7:30, and it took us 45 minutes to get there from Bang.

Now.

I truly dislike being late. As I always say (well, I say it because I heard it somewhere else), that if you're on time, you're late. Johnny saw a very anxious side of me, as did Becca. It's not like me to be late and flustered. I drove like Lizzie Borden on the way back to Bang; my veggie frybread and the dessert frybread (that Becca lovingly gave us!) were flying all over the dash, as my co-pilot was distracted with his own delicious dinner. He tried feeding me while I was driving/shifting/holding on to the plates, which only made my impatience worse. Oh well, real friends get to see the bad moods sometimes, too. Johnny was also very entertained with my speaking to inanimate objects while driving... a habit that my mother, sister, and I all have in common.

We ended up being just eight minutes late... and our friend, (also named Becca) was the only one there. People were even more late than us. So that made me feel a tiny bit better. The food was freaking delicious! The parts that I inhaled, that is.


Improv was great as always, no surprise there. I can't say enough good things about that class: fun activities, the best teacher ever, and all the giggling that goes on. It's good for the soul. I always leave a little brighter and happier when I walk out that Bang door. Afterwards, Becca, Mitchell, Johnny and I went to my silly little sublet to hang out for a bit. Basically we just watched lots of funny youTube videos, a phenomenon I am sure I will tell my future children about and they will laugh and make fun of me. And I fed them with whatever was in my fridge: tomato soup, carrots, and eggplant hummus. So weird to not have the staples I would usually offer... like a big bowl of cookies. 'Twas a lovely night, nonetheless. OH and they helped me finally get my futon down. I have been sleeping with it folded up every night. Of course, now that it's flat and comfortable my fitted sheet won't fit. You can't win 'em all.

Met Ezra this morning at Bang for the health/safety inspector lady's review. I swept up every little nook and cranny and organized other things while he chatted his way through it. Then Ezra and I walked up and down Fairfax, thrift-store-ing it up. Of course we didn't find anything that we actually were looking for, but we did find Ezra a pair of bright green polyester pants. iProv, Mitchell, Gretchen, and Ezra's improv group, (which performs every Thursday night @ 9:30 for free (PLUG), has green and black as their theme colors (which is quite ironic as those are Darwin's colors, too.) Therefore we declared last night crazy-colored-pants night at Bang, though only Johnny, Ezra, and I got the memo. Me in pink, Johnny in yellow (we did resemble the lady power rangers), and Ezra in his green pantaloons. It's the little things in life, ya'll.

After a couple hours at Bang Johnny and I trekked over the hill to Studio City for frozen yogurt from my favorite summer treat shop, Studio Yogurt. Delightful. Then I headed home to write this godforsaken blog entry...when I fell asleep. You can imagine the amount of exhaustion necessary to put me to sleep in the middle of the day. I was miserable when I woke up an hour and a half later--- with a full-on fever, a sweaty face, and severe confusion as to what day it was and what was my purpose in life. Jumped in the shower, met Johnny at Bang, grabbed a slice of pizza down the road, and opened up Bang for our Saturday night Schwag show. Another excellently hilarious show. Look how packed it was!!!


That's what I'm talking about.

I am beyond exhausted right now. I can't even figure out exactly how tired I am. Is this real life?

My plan for today is: sleep as much as I darn well please, write my sketch(es), go to see Bad Teacher with Rachel tonight, and maybe squeeze in a hike.


I'm excited to see this. My Jason Segel fix hasn't been attended to, recently. Time to recharge.

Kisses all. I hope everyone is doing well and taking care of yourselves. Hope you're getting more sleep than me. But HEY, I'm not complaining. Life is quite lovely.

(Also, I'm not sure why my comments section on here isn't working? I'm sorry to those who have written something and I haven't seen it. Try it again, it might work a second time)

No comments:

Post a Comment