Friday, December 28, 2012

fickle friend friday : let's pretend

Today is a great day.

It's Friday, we're leaving the office early, Aaron gets in tonight for a week of friend activities, and 2013 is almost upon us.


A year ago today I was headed to San Francisco for a New Years weekend spent with my favorite guy, Spencer. It seems like just yesterday that I was bopping around a big fancy hotel in a pretty dress, shouting down the last ten numbers until midnight. "My year" was upon me and the world was at my feet. 2012 was such a wonderful year and I cannot believe it's over. But if it's any sign of what's to come, I can't wait for 2013

Thank you to every one of my friends and loved ones who have made me such a happy, blessed girl over the past year. And thank you for reading my little adventures. It means the world to me. 

........................................................


Let's ring out 2013 with a final Fickle Friend Friday, shall we?

My latest blog love, Love Taza has stolen my heart and further excited me for my New York City trip in February. Naomi Davis blogs about her ridiculously adorable little family and their life in NYC. Her photos are beautiful and her adventures even more so. They recently went to Italy and their photos are to die for.



My favorite Tumblr site this week is Awesome People Hanging Out Together. Pretty self-explanatory. And awesome.

Orson Welles and Laurel & Hardy

President Obama, Queen B and Jay-Z

I wish I was in this picture.

Let's pretend like this is my room.



Now that the holidays are over, Corinne Bailey Rae is back on my Pandora, right where she belongs.


Going into the New Year, let's take some Lucille Ball wisdom with us.


To continue with the idea of loving yourself, Gwyneth Paltrow's website goop recently did a special on the idea of Perfection and Imperfection. There are a lot of great ideas and suggestions for being kind to yourself and finding your bliss in the 'real you'. I found a lot of inspiration in the words and guidance from Dr. BrenĂ© Brown regarding the idea of scarcity, or the feeling of vulnerability in our lives, relationships, and being. In order to combat these feelings of inadequacy she outlines the following:

The three components of scarcity are shame, comparison, and disengagement. To transform scarcity we need to Dare Greatly; we need to cultivate worthiness, a clear sense of purpose, and we need to re-engage.

Wise words for anyone in this time of fresh new starts, me thinks.


I took my mom to see Les Miserables last night. My eyes were watery the entire time, though I managed to only need one of the tissues I brought along. Well done, Jenny. I highly recommend seeing this one in the theater-- Hugh Jackman and the entire cast give an incredible performance and the cinematography is really something. Turning such a beloved stage musical into a film can be a tough business-- but I was thrilled with the clarity and depth it gave to the story. Bravo!

Hugh Jackman. Middle name, Handsome.

Amidst the discussions of gun control, let us turn our focus towards supporting children and families dealing with mental illness. A friend of mine posted this article, I Am Adam Lanza's Mother, from the Huffington Post a week or so ago. It's incredibly insightful and honest-- a tale of a mother and her struggles and difficult choices with her mentally imbalanced son. A really eye-opening read.



I feel like I must end this post on a happy note! Everything's so... serious....


How about this:



.............................................


Have a wonderful New Year's! Don't forget to read your horoscope, wear red underwear for good luck (Italy),  eat 12 grapes at midnight (Spain), and drink a lot (Everywhere). This also sounds like the best New Year's tradition ever:



Yes to the tall handsome man with dark hair. Yes to the small gift. 


See you in 2013!


Midnight kisses, 

Jenny 

No comments:

Post a Comment