Friday, January 18, 2013

fickle friend friday : babylon

It's Friday, it's 78 degrees outside, and I'm eating a bomb salad. Living the California dream, I tell you.

Sure I eat salads. I live in LA.
A group of my work friends and I visited Green Leaf in Century City today and it was delish. I made my own salad (as most salads in this city are built for people pretending to eat and not necessarily for flavor... or they just have bleu cheese in them. Blech.) and I was happily surprised. Romaine, grilled corn, turkey bacon, garbanzo beans, avocado and this delicious gluten/fat-free ranch dressing for good measure. I'm not usually a "look-at-my-food!" kind of person but this salad deserves to have its picture taken.

I'm really pleased with how this week turned out, despite it's bumpy beginnings. Things have been ironed out and I'm feeling confident about the show coming up. I'm so excited for next week. Excited with a side of completely panicked. But I got this.

During rehearsals last year.

But enough of that. I don't have to worry about work again until Monday morning! I've got plans this weekend, people. Big plans. But first-- let's all simmer down for some FFF.

................................................................


First of all, I've been on a huge David Gray kick these days. He's the only music artist speaking to me right now and I ain't fighting it. Here are two of my favorites for your listening pleasure:


Classic. Don't bother watching the video though... really any of them. He has the most awkward music videos I have ever seen. Worse than Uptown Girl.



Without fail, this song turns me to mush. Every time. You need to download this song right now if you don't already have it. Do it for me.

(Other David Gray notables: You're The World to MeThe One I Love, Sail Away, Be Mine and Babylon (posted at the bottom). So good.)



Winning a million awards at the Golden Globes.

Lena. Dunham. 

This girl is changing the face of Hollywood-- or at least she's making the first step. Lena produces, writes, directs, and stars in HBO's GIRLS-- at twenty-six years old. This lady is a firecracker. Lena is unapologetically quick, honest, and true to herself. Though I do believe that all women are 'real', her depiction of Hannah on GIRLS is incredibly real -- and brave-- as she's frequently very naked. Very naked and very herself. There have been some terribly rude things said about Lena's unconventional body and I'm just sick of it.

From the New York Post, about GIRLS:

It's not every day in the TV world of anorexic actresses with fake boobs that a woman with giant thighs, a sloppy backside and small breasts is compelled to show it all. It's a boon for the out-of-shape and perhaps a giant economic loss for high-end gyms.

It then goes on...

Interestingly, the gorgeous Marnie is the one who is now totally unlucky in love. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to be smart, breathtakingly beautiful, nice and kind. Not when there are blobbies who are willing to take their clothes off in public constantly.

...What! You're a blobbie! How rude.

Luckily I stumbled upon this article-- The Audacity of Lena Dunham and Her Admirable Commitment to Making Us Look at Her Naked, which made me feel all the better. It's a definite read-- very insightful if you're in this industry or not. Let's not hate on every girl that doesn't look like January Jones, shall we?


Annnnd we're back to topical coverage of things I like.



LIKE THIS DUSTPAN. Squeee! So cute.



My sentiments exactly. Most of the time I don't know what I want to do in the grand scheme of things-- but this seems like a good itinerary:

1) Go places.
2) See people.
3) Learn things. Experience things.
4) Live somewhere inspiring and alive.

I feel like I'm on the right track. Phew.




I find Switzerland incredibly enchanting. Consider this on the itinerary.


...Apparently Instagram has linked up mobile accounts with the internet a la Facebook. I don't know why it exists yet. But it does.



If you're not following me on Instagram yet-- now's the time! jennymwise



I'm going to Disneyland tomorrow. Alison and a couple work friends are driving up from Tucson for a little Disney weekend-- and lucky me, I get to tag along! I need a break from reality and I can't wait to see my best friend! Space Mountain, skipping, and popcorn have been tentatively scheduled. Pictures to come.

........................................................................


Just because I can't get enough-- here's David Gray's Babylon to kick off your "Friday night" (Those are the first words of the song...)

 

And now, if you'll excuse me... the guacamole has been set on the table in the office... and the margaritas are a'plenty. Mother may I! 

Have a lovely weekend, favorite fickle people. 


Xo,

Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment